Friday, March 30, 2012

Back in Action, and This Time, I'm Adorned


          I apologize for the lack of updates! After Goa, I was back in Mumbai for two days before I headed to Delhi and Agra, to see the Taj Mahal, the Sikrhi Fort, and a few other cultural heritage sites. I also hit a bazaar in Delhi where I picked up a ton of gorgeous brocades, silks, and cottons to be sewn into bedding for my future apartment. Will elaborate more on this in a future post.
Gazing at the Taj
The Bahai'i Lotus Temple in New Delhi
       Since my return, Bombay has gotten hot. And when I say hot, I mean, a minimum of 95 degrees farenheit every day. The weather leaves everyone quite fatigued, as walking down the street leaves you drenched in sweat. All I have to say, is thank god for air conditioning. Although I do note that my skin loves humidity, I think the sweating clears the toxins out of the pores.
          On the beauty front, I’ve been going very minimal for day – almost everything melts off or just looks awful by the time you end up arriving at your destination after sweating like mad in a cab. A touch of moisturizing lip balm – my current favorite is Sara Happ Lip Slip – and I’m good to go. Anything else just looks silly.
          So, without makeup, how am I to bedazzle myself, you ask? Jewelry. India is obviously a haven for everything sparkly, and a walk in Bandra down Turner Road will reveal some of the most over-the-top diamonds you have ever seen. Since I don’t exactly have the champagne-and-caviar budget, I’ve had to settle for what is called “art jewelry”, sterling silver, handmade pieces dipped in 22k gold. I recently bought a pair of earrings that is just to-die-for, far more intricate than anything you would find in the U.S. for the same price.
          Another way I’ve bedazzled myself? Well, after seeing the awesome earrings all of the women here wear from their earlobes to their noses to their cartilidge, I thought it was time to take the plunge. I headed to a small shop in my neighborhood and got two more holes put into each ear, just beyond my typical earlobe piercing. The verdict? I love it! I think it gives me the right amount of Givenchy-esque edge, and also allows me to wear some of the gorgeous second-hole-only Indian earring designs. I don’t think I will get anymore piercings, but I can’t wait to check out the fabled New York Adorned when I return to the states to see what they can offer me on account of my new, punk-ified (OK, not really…) look.
Photo courtesy of my own Instagram account

No comments:

Post a Comment